IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness

IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness (http://forum.illpumpyouup.com//index.php)
-   Topic of the Week (http://forum.illpumpyouup.com//forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Time Off... When, Why, and for How Long? (http://forum.illpumpyouup.com//showthread.php?t=14905)

TimM 11-28-2011 10:42 AM

Time Off... When, Why, and for How Long?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/imag...bson324dsm.jpg
Did you know that taking a rest from training is actually a critical part of bodybuilding???
After about 12 weeks of hardcore training I like to take a 5 day rest period from all weight training. The benefits are numerous!
The week off is NOT an excuse to slack. There is great importance in taking a rest.
Before I talk about why, let me discuss what happens when you do take a week off weight training.
  • You come back stronger than before
  • You start a growth spurt
  • Your joints feel great
  • You are mentally fresh
  • Your glad about the gym you are currently going to

Notice that you aren't getting stronger but maybe even getting weaker? Your central nervous system needs a break! Most people don't know how to leverage their CNS for heavy training (that's a different story) so they burn it out with heavy singles on the same exercise. A week off will do wonders for your CNS!

Not growing? You will after a week off!!
Your body gets very used to things and it needs to be constantly confused! A week off lets your body reset, and wont be expecting a bombardment a week after resting! You will actually grow very well during your week off.

Give your joints time to heal!
This is a great way to avoid injuries. Let some joints and tendons heal awhile. When they do you will be stronger!

Take a mental break!
This is a great added benefit from letting your body rest! It doesn't seem like you need a mental break right now, but after a week from the gym you will know exactly what I am talking about. You will be sooo lit to workout and so mentally fresh that it will have a long lasting positive effect on your training!

Sick of your gym and looking for a new one lately?
I recently took a week off from the gym and when I came back to my gym I was like "Dang this place is the bomb!!" We are human, the same faces, the same scene...it annoys us.

Now I didnt say taking a week off is easy! This is actually very difficult to do, and I am sure for those that take breaks, you know what I mean. You want to get back into the gym as fast as possible.
Just remember all the reasons why you are taking a week off. Consider it "active rest" knowing that it is a very productive thing to do for your training!!

NOW REMEMBER......
it is a week off to rest your body and mind. So relax, spend time with your family, have fun, sleep alot, and try to do things that will benefit your body and mind. Get a massage, spend extra time in a jacuzzi, get some sun, sleep in, limit caffiene, read a good book, etc.!

RickB 11-28-2011 11:45 AM

I go mostly by feel, but also usually when I'm well past the need. So I finally take off and either do light work or no work, but I feel no longer than a week off at a time is best. I prefer a "deload" of sorts though rather than complete time off. But sometimes if my heart isn't in it...then staying out of the gym does me pretty well too. I have to say though in almost 5 years (2 wks shy) of working out....I've very rarely taken time off.

FearnonebutOne 11-28-2011 04:26 PM

Well I have to admit, I have been pushing really hard since about March and had to take a break due to job mostly and it seems like it is helping but I cant wait to get in back in the gym...

PAPAW 11-28-2011 04:45 PM

I believe you do have to let your body rest. Great post.

recarp82 11-28-2011 07:08 PM

2 weeks is the time off i use to take a break. roughly every 6months or so depending on im feeling and how training is goin. 2 weeks is also the time i use to take a break from all supps.

ouija 12-01-2011 09:00 PM

I wait till I'm beat down. Then usually just train every 3 days for two or three weeks, maybe 4 days off. But like I said, just wait till im shot, train part time until my motivation just goes zoooooom and I'm off again

emekajokammor 12-01-2011 11:36 PM

Man i need to FORCE myself to take a break before i start my prep. Can't stomach the idea tho. lol

RickB 12-02-2011 08:18 AM

I think the OCD part of us takes over more often than not!

Rich Knapp 12-02-2011 08:43 AM

;) I'm going threw a week off now. I push it hard and in 2 years no break. Shoulder crapped out and brought me into this week off. Ya it kills you, but its better than going backwards. :[][]:

My shoulder may have been ok now if I took a week off earlier.

Ya even the pro's can brain fart. :hysterical:

TimM 12-02-2011 09:26 AM

Good replies.
Yeah your body will tell you when you need a break. Injuries get frequent. All kinds of signs.
I like what Recarp82 said about taking a break from supplements. I feel like this is very important when it comes to stimulants. They can really really tax the CSN badly especially Geranuim OIl (1,3 DMA).

emekajokammor 12-02-2011 09:51 AM

Speaking og 1,3 DMA has it been totally phased out yet or can i find it still?

TimM 12-07-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emekajokammor (Post 142473)
Speaking og 1,3 DMA has it been totally phased out yet or can i find it still?

Alot of companies still have it.
We are adding straight 1,3,DMA real soon I believe by SNS.

ouija 12-07-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimM (Post 142646)
Alot of companies still have it.
We are adding straight 1,3,DMA real soon I believe by SNS.

ya i heard a rumor you guys were gonna stock adrena g after some camo-wearing idiot kept asking lol :<8>:

TimM 12-08-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouija (Post 142657)
ya i heard a rumor you guys were gonna stock adrena g after some camo-wearing idiot kept asking lol :<8>:

Yeah we are!! LOL
The guys in the warehouse saw that poem and were like WTH?!!!

ouija 12-08-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimM (Post 142690)
Yeah we are!! LOL
The guys in the warehouse saw that poem and were like WTH?!!!

They know they want sweatpants too haha. Speaking of those guys in the warehouse...I'ma have them working some OT...big order coming up :[][]:

TimM 12-12-2011 12:55 PM

AWESOME MAN!!

FearnonebutOne 12-12-2011 04:10 PM

OK im totally through with this rest bull crap...it sucks!!! lol

TimM 12-13-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearnonebutOne (Post 142857)
OK im totally through with this rest bull crap...it sucks!!! lol

Told you it isnt easy. LOL

Ashim Matthan 02-25-2015 05:52 AM

I don't necessarily take time off because my vacations, etc are all the time off I need. Additionally, I don't even do strict deload weeks because invariably every 3-5 weeks I'll run into a week where I miss 2-3 workout sessions due to work commitments so the reduced frequency and thereby reduced workload is enough of a "break" to get back fresh. If I have gone for too long without any breaks I will just cut the volume drastically one week and use that as a deload week.

jfranklin 09-08-2015 11:11 AM

My time off is usually during a couple of vacations during the year. I currently rest every 3 days. Every few months I will go with a high rep, low weight routine.