IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness

IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness (http://forum.illpumpyouup.com//index.php)
-   Over Age 35 Bodybuilders (http://forum.illpumpyouup.com//forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   PaPaw's Blog... (http://forum.illpumpyouup.com//showthread.php?t=12825)

RickB 03-05-2010 08:55 AM

Uh oh! Flat bench can take a toll on your shoulders, that's for certain! Maybe just do some tricep work for a little while (if that doesn't bother you).

kickboy 03-05-2010 09:11 AM

Papaw let that thing heal and your goal will happen. I am pretty sure the cause of my injury was pounging deadlifts heavy every week for 8-10 weeks. I have learned that most power lifters take 10-14 days between hitting a body part real hard. There is also an interview with Ronnie Coleman where he talks about time off allowing little tears to heal so he can go as heavy as he does. when we first start lifting I don't think we really have the ability to overdo it unless we use bad form and just blow something being stupid but; after years of training the body and mind to push hard we devolop the ability to really tear something with mental strength, physical strength and a devoloped tolerance to pain. I truly feel the longer we stay with it the more we need to focus on training smart. this is my fresh off the injury list perspective:D
Hope you are feeling better soon.

PAPAW 03-05-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 107106)
Uh oh! Flat bench can take a toll on your shoulders, that's for certain! Maybe just do some tricep work for a little while (if that doesn't bother you).

TRICEP WORK DOESN'T SEEM TO BOTHER MY SHOULDERS. I REALLY AM GONA NEED ADVICE TO GET THROUGH THIS.
I HAVE BUSTED MY BUTT TO GET AS FAR AS I HAVE AND I DON'T WANT TO LOSE THE PROGRESS. IS WORKING MY TRICEPS AND DOING SOME OTHER KIND OF SHOULDER WORK GOING TO KEEP ME FROM LOSING MY BENCH ?
KICK, YOUR RIGHT ALSO AND I GUESS THAT GOES ALONG WITH WHAT RICK SAID. WORKING SMART.. I'VE BEEN JUST BUSTING OUT THE REPS AND GETTING PROGRESS THAT WAY. BUT IT SEEMS YOU DO HAVE DO THE REPS. MAYBE NOT AS MANY, BUT HEAVIER ?
I'VE RECENTLY CUT BACK ON THE AMOUNT OF REPS I DO AND GO HEAVIER. STARTING OUT WITH :
WARM UP 135 x 10
155 x8
185 x8
225 x3
245 x3 x 4 SETS
THEN
DB'S @80 OR 90 LBS x 4 SETS OF 10
THEN TRICEP 4 SETS @ 60 OR 70 LBS x 10 REPS
SITUPS TO FINISH THE NIGHT
ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT I DO
4 SETS OF10 WORKING UP TO 150 LBS ROWS
4 SETS OF 10 WORKING UP TO 130 LBS PULL DOWNS
4 SETS OF 10 @ 65 LBS CURLS
MORE TRICEP WORK (CABLE) WORKING UP TO 150 LBS
EACH NIGHT THAT I WORKOUT AND USE SHOULDER I ICE THEM DOWN FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES.
ARE THERE ANY SUPPLIMENTS TO HELP WITH INJURY RECOVERY ?
HOW HARD IS IT TO GET AND HOW EXPENSIVE IS IT.
THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT

PAPAW 03-05-2010 02:11 PM

HEY KICK HOW LONG WOULD YOU LAY OFF IN A CASE LIKE MINE ?

RoaringMad Mac 03-05-2010 02:15 PM

honestly I would lay off Bench Press for a couple of weeks and still to Inclines and DB work. Your not going to loose strength by omitting them out. Rather you should gain some strength by resting but still stimulating the muscle.

PAPAW 03-05-2010 04:10 PM

THANKS MAC, I CAN DO THE DB'S AND THE TRI'S WITH LITTLE TO NO PROBLEM. LOOK OUT CABLES AND DUMBELLS !!
I APPRECIATE IT !

kickboy 03-05-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAPAW (Post 107122)
HEY KICK HOW LONG WOULD YOU LAY OFF IN A CASE LIKE MINE ?

Hard to say, if it's not too bad a week or two and then start back light with reps. I think moving the weight slow will help you figure out how it is doing. Do you have any of the exercise bands?

onetiredkris 03-05-2010 11:56 PM

Take it easy papaw. It is definitely better to hit the 300 at a later point than to never hit it at all.

You've been doing great work lately, don't let the momentum get carried away.

PAPAW 03-08-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickboy (Post 107135)
Hard to say, if it's not too bad a week or two and then start back light with reps. I think moving the weight slow will help you figure out how it is doing. Do you have any of the exercise bands?

I'LL GIVE IT ANOTHER WEEKS REST MAYBE DO SOME TRI'S AND MAYBE SOME CURLS. I'VE GOT TO START DOING MORE CARDIO TO LOSE WEIGHT. I DON'T HAVE ANY EXERCISE BANDS BUT THEY HAVE CABLES AT THE GYM. THE START OUT AT 10 LBS. CURRENTLY I'M DOING EXERCISES THE DR. GAVE ME WITH A 3 LB WEIGHT.

PAPAW 03-08-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetiredkris (Post 107143)
Take it easy papaw. It is definitely better to hit the 300 at a later point than to never hit it at all.

You've been doing great work lately, don't let the momentum get carried away.

THANKS KRIS, I'M GOING TO START WORKING AROUND THE BENCH DOING WHAT WAS SUGGESTED WITH WORKING THE TRI'S AND LAYING OFF THE BENCH. I'M GOING TO TRY SOME DB BENCH NEXT WEEK.THIS WEEK I'M GOING TO FLUSH THE AREA (JUST THE BAR AND 4 SETS OF JUST THE BAR FOR ABOUT 15 SECONDS PER SET).
THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT IT'S GREATLY APPRECIATED.

PAPAW 03-09-2010 08:48 AM

LAST NIGHT WAS DIFFICULT. IT WAS HARD TO WATCH MY WORKOUT PARTNERS LIFTING HEAVY AND ME ON THE SIDELINE. I DID DO 30 MIN OF CARDIO BEFORE I LEFT THE GYM THOUGH. MAYBE NEXT WEEK

RickB 03-09-2010 08:54 AM

I know it is tough Papaw. Been there before. Just be patient and do the smart thing. You'll get back in there sooner....but you know that ;)

PAPAW 03-09-2010 09:14 AM

I KNOW, YOU'VE BEEN THERE; I'LL BE DOING THE SMART THING AND KEEPING IT LIGHT FOR A WHILE AND DOING MORE CARDIO THAN WEIGHTS.
HOW DID YOU GO ABOUT RECOVERING ?

RickB 03-09-2010 09:19 AM

Well since I injured my self doing DL's, I started with stretches for a couple of weeks. Then in the gym, I did rack DL's with just the bar. Then slowly graduated up to putting 10's on it. I made very VERY slow progression. I'm still not 100%, but if I watch my form closely on DL's then I have no issues while pulling weight.

IMO, unless the pain is above a 4 out of 10 on doing the bar only, it might be good therapy. If the pain is worse than that....I'd say stick to stretching and working your range of motion. Do something to get the blood flowing there...but not too much. It's hard to say how bad you are, but just give it time.

kickboy 03-09-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAPAW (Post 107295)
LAST NIGHT WAS DIFFICULT. IT WAS HARD TO WATCH MY WORKOUT PARTNERS LIFTING HEAVY AND ME ON THE SIDELINE. I DID DO 30 MIN OF CARDIO BEFORE I LEFT THE GYM THOUGH. MAYBE NEXT WEEK

Been there done that, and Papaw I can tell you most of the people (that lift) at my gym could use more cardio and less bench press.

All I'm saying is the time I spent on the treadmill watching my friends pound the weight was very interesting. It is easy to live for the day and forget that steady progression is the ticket to sucess in this game!!

PAPAW 03-09-2010 12:29 PM

THANKS RICK AND KICK, SO SLOW AND CAREFUL IS THE ANSWER. CARDIO WILL BE THE MAIN THING I DO. ROM IS NOT TO BAD. JUST THE TYPICAL ROTATER CUFF PAIN.
THANKS AGAIN

RoaringMad Mac 03-09-2010 12:59 PM

You won't regret it I promise

PAPAW 03-11-2010 08:18 AM

HERE'S SOME NEW PICTURES IF I DID THIS RIGHT
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/PICT0243.jpg

SORRY THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I KNOW HOW TO DO IT.
GIVE ME A LITTLE FEEDBACK, I KNOW I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT AND I'M TRYING TO WORK ON THAT NOW.
WORK OUT LAST NIGHT WAS GOOD I DIDN'T GO TOO HEAVY BUT STILL DID ROW, PULLDOWNS, CURLS, AND TRI'S; IT FELT GOOD AND THE SHOULDER DIDN'T HAVE BUT VERY LITTLE PAIN AND I PUT ICE ON IT WHEN I GOT HOME.

RickB 03-11-2010 09:07 AM

Papaw, you have a ways to go with the bodyfat, but that said you have some serious muscle going on. Despite your position, I can tell your traps and your arms are plenty beefy! Great job!
:thumbup:

Time to clean up that diet and hit the cardio while you recoop! ;)

PAPAW 03-11-2010 09:12 AM

YEAH, THE FOOD THING IS A BIG PROBLEM WITH ME. I LOVE WORKING OUT THOUGH. IF MY BODY COULD STAND IT I'D WORK OUT ALL DAY LONG. PLUS MY WIFE DOESN'T LIKE ME STAYING AT THE GYM ALONG TIME. DO YA'LL HAVE THAT PROBLEM ?
THANKS FOR THE REPLY RICK, I'LL WORK ON THAT BODYFAT.