IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness

IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness (http://forum.illpumpyouup.com//index.php)
-   Injuries and Rehab (http://forum.illpumpyouup.com//forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Lifting weights and headaches (http://forum.illpumpyouup.com//showthread.php?t=15164)

brutepower 06-19-2012 09:14 AM

Lifting weights and headaches

Friends,

I experience mild headaches occasionally during the day. They are random with no specific time. Surely not during workouts, but a day after workout, that is the rest day.

I bench pressed relatively heavy last evening (rather extreme). After 5 sets, my eyelids were droopy (sort of like when you are stoned on weed), and right eye became crimson red. In the morning, waking up was difficult somehow and during office hours today, suddenly the same eye started aching and the same side of the head too.

Read on some reputed websites, that oxygen level in brain cells may go down during heavy workouts causing headaches. Also, breathing from the mouth during workouts can lower the amount of oxygen being transferred to brain which can cause headaches.

Solutions provided were lowering intensity of workouts, and breathing strictly using nose during workouts and of course going to the doctor.

Any ideas and solutions??

Thanks
BP

RoaringMad Mac 06-19-2012 09:27 AM

What you read was correct. In doing your extremely heavy workouts you need to space weeks out where you do a deload phase which means you need a week of low intensity workouts.

What most power lifters do is stimulate the nervous system really bad by extreme lifting. the intense straining can cause a rise in blood pressure as well. You need to take all of this into consideration and at the very least schedule your heavy days around lighter days. Most competing power lifters only workout 3 times a week to allow for proper recoup time. hitting the nervous system more than 5 days a week will cause other symptoms such as what you are experiencing.

brutepower 06-19-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac (Post 149768)
What you read was correct. In doing your extremely heavy workouts you need to space weeks out where you do a deload phase which means you need a week of low intensity workouts.

What most power lifters do is stimulate the nervous system really bad by extreme lifting. the intense straining can cause a rise in blood pressure as well. You need to take all of this into consideration and at the very least schedule your heavy days around lighter days. Most competing power lifters only workout 3 times a week to allow for proper recoup time. hitting the nervous system more than 5 days a week will cause other symptoms such as what you are experiencing.

Thanks,

I workout 3 days a week on alternate days and rest for 4 days. I follow this schedule keeping in mind what you said about the intense workouts and hitting the nervous system. I was just trying to figure out the reason, I may feel better yesterday. I will keep you posted. :D

RoaringMad Mac 06-19-2012 09:48 AM

okay

brutepower 06-19-2012 09:50 AM

Hey,

How about keeping a week in a month for low intensity workout? Does it sound good? If yes, which exercises?

Thanks
BP

RoaringMad Mac 06-19-2012 09:52 AM

that sounds reasonable. that would be a good idea

brutepower 06-19-2012 09:53 AM

Treadmills
Cross trainer
Abs

Thats all

Sounds good?

ShawnD 06-19-2012 06:18 PM

I also heard somthing about breathing in through your mouth and out your nose can help, or vise versa

NomZ 06-19-2012 09:32 PM

If you are blocking (holding your breath through a rep), you will increase internal pressure, which can break capillaries in the eyes/nose/skin. Happen to know your resting blood pressure?

Headaches could be related to extreme muscle tension as well. Do you feel tight day after? Stretch properly?

brutepower 06-20-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomZ (Post 149800)
If you are blocking (holding your breath through a rep), you will increase internal pressure, which can break capillaries in the eyes/nose/skin. Happen to know your resting blood pressure?

Headaches could be related to extreme muscle tension as well. Do you feel tight day after? Stretch properly?

I do tend to hold my breath during some reps in the set. That's correct, thanks for pointing out.

brutepower 06-24-2012 08:27 AM

Thanks Guys,

I am better now, strictly breathing from nose.

RoaringMad Mac 06-24-2012 08:48 AM

:[][]: