PDA

View Full Version : Dead Lift Bars.

RoaringMad Mac
07-28-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm looking at purchasing a deadlift bar. Mainly because I experience some pain when I do the alternating hands position and with these deadlift bars my hands are at a neutral position where it does not hurt. I just want some feed back. Right now I can do both hands palms facing my body okay but I'm so used to doing heavy deads with alternate hand position.

Again things I have to change with this injury. Trying to adapt.

either this

The hex bar
http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Uploads/PressReleases/Hex-Deadlift-Shrug-Olympic-Barbell-14385_image.jpg

or this new one called the super deadlift bar.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31B3vLHzaVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

which one do you think.

RickB
07-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Mac, are there weight limits for each? Looks to me (just guessing) that the hex would be able to handle bigger weight. But maybe not.

RickB
07-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I just hung up with Mac and he's running errands. He wanted me to ask if any of you have seen any of these type bars in your gym and if you've tried them. And if your gym does have them, would you be willing to try them and give your opinion.

kickboy
07-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I use the hex style bar . I really like to do shrugs with this bar too, but i use a straight bar for dead lift most of the time. It takes more space and time to set up the hex bar (at my gym) but it's worth it.

RoaringMad Mac
07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Cool, this is what I'm looking for.

If anyone has them try them out and give me an opinion, like Kick did. Setting up is not a problem. It is the neutral grip that I'm really interested in.

onetiredkris
07-28-2009, 02:45 PM
thats killer. ive always wanted to use one of those but ballys wont budge for it.

go for the hex forsure. the bottom one looks like it would bent in wierd ways once you put alot of weight on it

rippednmichigan
07-28-2009, 02:58 PM
The Hex bar, iksn't that more for shrugs. I want one either way, looks effective.

RoaringMad Mac
07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I've done some research. The Hex bar is told for shrug bar because of the neutral grip. But Deadlifts are one of the other major things it can do. Not for competition purposes but it is the same thing.

Like I stated. Just want something with a neutral grip.

kickboy
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
hey Mac here is the bar I use. Notice that you are lifting from the same height as a straight bar, where the handles on the one you posted will be a few inches higher, unless you flip it over.

kickboy
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
this is what I was doing at 6:15am. I did my 4 sets of 15 pull ups, followed by single arm rows and then the deadlift. I need to keep my head up but I was looking at the bar, wondering if it was a good picture LOL.

RoaringMad Mac
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah, that is the bar I am talking about. I don't think it is imperative for me to use it now being that I have to kinda train with the regular bar for this competition.

naug44
08-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I have used the Hex model for shrugs and it works great! I can really add on the weight and it has a more natural feel. I never tried to do any Dead lifts with it. Good luck Mac!

MoPower440
08-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I've used the hex bar before but it seems to get hard to balance after 365.For me its good to use up until that weight.

MoPower440
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Sorry fellows I used the bar for deads mostly at a old gym I used to belong to.Maybe its just me but if you deadlift heavy wont need much trap work.I guess I should still do some.

RoaringMad Mac
08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I agree. Heavy deads there is no need for shrugs. Case in point my freaking traps are sore as hell this morning from deads yesterday.

kickboy
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I love shrugs but it's more of a strech than a building thing, just a good way to flow blood through a body part that has been worked hard, like cable flys to finish the chest off or hypers after deads.

RickB
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I still like adding moderate weight shrugs with perfect form and a good squeeze after deads. Just my preference. ;)

rookie
08-05-2009, 04:23 PM
For what it's worth here's my opinion. I have used the hex bar several times for shrugs only. I have went up to well over 500lbs with the shrugs and the bar held up just fine. My only problem was the hand spacing is too far apart and your arms are not just hanging straight down like they should be while doing a regular deadlift. I have deadlifted 750 lbs raw and conventional but the hex bar is not for me. the hand spacing is too far apart.

RickB
08-05-2009, 04:26 PM
For what it's worth here's my opinion. I have used the hex bar several times for shrugs only. I have went up to well over 500lbs with the shrugs and the bar held up just fine. My only problem was the hand spacing is too far apart and your arms are not just hanging straight down like they should be while doing a regular deadlift. I have deadlifted 750 lbs raw and conventional but the hex bar is not for me. the hand spacing is too far apart.

Whoah whoah whoah! Dude, if you shrug, and I mean SHRUG 500 lbs....I'm demanding pictures of your beastly self! Get 'em up buddy! :D

RoaringMad Mac
08-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I have deadlifted 750 lbs raw and conventional

what's this supposed to mean.

RoaringMad Mac
08-05-2009, 04:53 PM
and before you start There is not a difference in what you are talking about. Conventional and Raw are the same thing unless you are talking about styles. Raw is not a style. It is without a deadlift with singlets or other apparatus.

Rick is not being mean here also. Before you come on to a website and start boasting about lifting heavy ass weight like 750 deadlifts and 500 lb shrugs you need to have something to back it up. Other wise no-one will believe a word you say.

matt20
08-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I love shrugs but it's more of a strech than a building thing, just a good way to flow blood through a body part that has been worked hard, like cable flys to finish the chest off or hypers after deads.

I agree kickboy! Too many people load the bar up and lift with their ego, instead of getting a full range of mation.

MoPower440
08-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Sounds like to me I'm going to have to video alot more.It really helps you to push a little harder with the film rolling. I also agree with matt and kickboy too I try to get a good rom and time under tension but some things like calves tends to be a little faster and I get a good pump.

RoaringMad Mac
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
and before you start There is not a difference in what you are talking about. Conventional and Raw are the same thing unless you are talking about styles. Raw is not a style. It is without a deadlift with singlets or other apparatus.

Rick is not being mean here also. Before you come on to a website and start boasting about lifting heavy ass weight like 750 deadlifts and 500 lb shrugs you need to have something to back it up. Other wise no-one will believe a word you say.

again we are not being mean just making sure you don't look like a fool. we just don't want that.

Ashim Matthan
02-25-2015, 04:49 AM
I wish I had access to specialized DL bars..they look so damn cool with the way they have that flexibility to bend and really help a lifter with the stretch reflex.

rent a car antalya rent a car antalya