PDA

View Full Version : NEED SERIOUS OPINIONS (TREADMILL OR NOT)

RoaringMad Mac
03-20-2008, 07:09 AM
I need your help guys.

I need at least 5 or 6 good opinions as to wether getting a treadmill is good or not.

I need some good responses on Pros and Cons of Treadmills vs. outside cardio.

See here is the thing.

I was planning on buying a Mountain bike sometime next month. I was out walking this morning and I must have been horned by at least 4 cars on one of the streets I walk. Now, I am almost walking in the grass on the correct side of the street, but some morons who don't pay attention just seem to start veering toward you when they see you walking. MORONS:mad:

This got me to thinking would it just be more cost effecient to go ahead and buy a treadmill than a Mountain bike, because a mountain bike altough very good for you is bottom like recreational at best. It is not something that would be utilized everyday like a treadmill.

I have several opinions on my own but I just wanted your input before I decide this and me and my wife discuss this as well.

I would also like to see her get more active with walking because she does not ride the stationary bike I bought her and she will not walk outside. The best form of exercises she gets is in the summer in the pool.

I need help people. Please respond to this

Jordan566
03-20-2008, 08:04 AM
If you could, get a roadbike, and seriously start getting after it on that. Low impact on the knees, great cardio training, and personally I love cycling. Treadmills get boring fast in my opinion, and you can't go as long on a treadmill as you can on a bike. I have a road bike from 2 years ago, and I will be riding that all summer as my cardio.

One piece of advice mac, skip the toe strap type pedals, they are hell on knees I have found. A better, but pricier option are the FROG Speedplay pedals. You have special shoes that actually clip into the pedals, but the difference between them and normal clip in pedals is that you have a lot of float side to side so you don't put your knees in awkward positions, and you just twist your foot to get out of them. That is my .02.

Drakedogg
03-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm not the poster child of fitness by no means, but I absolutely hated my treadmill. I don't know how to explain the feeling I had on it other than claustrophobic. I have the recumbent bike now and love it. I can go to my room turn on the TV and just ride. We talked the other day about the seat up your ass feeling on the normal stationaries so I could only imagine that's why Lisa doesn't wanna get on that thing. I might be wrong but I highly recommend the full seats cause it takes all the discomfort out of hit and you can just pump, pump, pump away on it. Have you thought about an elyptical versus the treadmill?

RoaringMad Mac
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
If you could, get a roadbike, and seriously start getting after it on that. Low impact on the knees, great cardio training, and personally I love cycling. Treadmills get boring fast in my opinion, and you can't go as long on a treadmill as you can on a bike. I have a road bike from 2 years ago, and I will be riding that all summer as my cardio.

One piece of advice mac, skip the toe strap type pedals, they are hell on knees I have found. A better, but pricier option are the FROG Speedplay pedals. You have special shoes that actually clip into the pedals, but the difference between them and normal clip in pedals is that you have a lot of float side to side so you don't put your knees in awkward positions, and you just twist your foot to get out of them. That is my .02.

The one reason I am do adiment for a Road bike especially a Mountain bike is this is what I am so used to riding it. I was A bike cop in Canton and at Birmingham Southern College. We had to be certified to actually ride them and I went through a 4 week hell of a class here in Birmingham.

I know what you mean by clips I am not a fan at all of the toe strap pedals. They are hell to get out of if your having to get off the bike fast. The FROG speedplay pedals are a good option as well I just never really used them. That might be an option.

Thanks for that Jordan That is one of the things I needed.

RoaringMad Mac
03-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm not the poster child of fitness by no means, but I absolutely hated my treadmill. I don't know how to explain the feeling I had on it other than claustrophobic. I have the recumbent bike now and love it. I can go to my room turn on the TV and just ride. We talked the other day about the seat up your ass feeling on the normal stationaries so I could only imagine that's why Lisa doesn't wanna get on that thing. I might be wrong but I highly recommend the full seats cause it takes all the discomfort out of hit and you can just pump, pump, pump away on it. Have you thought about an elyptical versus the treadmill?

Yeah, that is what one of my problems with having a Treadmill would be is the fact is "would she use this as well ? " she hates the Recumbant. I am thinking about trading that Stationary and seeing if she will ride a Recumbant.

Yes I have thought about an elypictal but if I do look at one I want one build by Cybex The cybex arc trainer. Now that is the best one in my opinion but it cost as much as an ATV.

I might have a chance to buy one like you are using when my physical Therapist closes down her business at the end of April we will see.

Thanks Drake.

RickB
03-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Mac, Life Fitness makes a great commercial grade elliptical too. That's what our gym has, and I won't swear to it, but I think new they are around $2500-$3000. Much cheaper than an ATV ;)

I'm personally considering this one:
Multisports Elliptix 6200 Programmable Dual-Action Crosstrainer (http://www.illpumpyouup.com/fitness-equipment/multisports/elliptix-6200-programmable-dual-action-crosstrainer.htm)
List: $1,275.00 IPYU:$849.00

KRAM
03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
I'll second what Jordan said...get a road bike. I hate...I mean absolutely loath doing cardio in the gym. I'd rather be out on my bike any day of the week. If you can't ride all year round look into getting a trainer for the cold months or pony up for some good winter riding gear. Cycling is sooooo much easier on the joints, it's fun, great cardio workout & actually a nice way to clear your mind.

For your size I'd suggest a steel bike w/ good heavy duty wheels...or like you already mentioned a mountain bike...but throw some street slicks on there if you plan to ride mainly on the road. If you want the best of both worlds you could look into a cyclocross bike...basically a more heavy duty road bike that can take some mild trail riding.

You could likely pick up two bikes, one for you & your wife for the price of a good elliptical/treadmill. There's usually a lot to choose from in the used market if you don't want to spend a lot or if you don't think your wife will use it.

As far as pedals go...I ride Shimano clipless, but really, you don't need clipless unless you're racing or seriously training. Platforms are fine...if you want a little bit of of a strap, there's a company (name escapes me) that makes a plastic piece that just comes over the front of your toes....works great & is 10x better than straps.

RoaringMad Mac
03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks KRAM,

Let me give a little background on my experience with riding bikes.

Years ago I had to use a Diamond back for my transportation. I worked in the county Jail that was about 3 or 4 miles from my house. Rain or shine. Heat or winter, I was riding that bike. That was my only form of transportation.

Ask Drake, I think he was at Canton at that time and remembers me riding up and down the highway to work.

I just went to a local bike shop and this is what I am looking for as of right now:
http://bobs-bikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=14345

I might even be able to talk my wife into getting one as well which would be great.

Drakedogg
03-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Yes, I do remember that.

kickboy
03-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Deep question Mac, here is my opinion,
The treadmill is the least fun but it wins the no excuse contest, weather, traffic and time of day are all at your control. If I had space I would get one, but I would only use it when I had no other option, BUT it would always be there. I need a new MB and Iím looking into one now (I think you should get a bike too) when itís right for you.
To sum it up I hate treadmills but they are a great to have, Iíll have one some day.

Jordan566
03-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Mac, dont forget about a spin trainer, where you drop the back wheel of the bike into the apparatus and the tire sits on this drum so you have a "stationary" bike as well, and you can play around with the resistance too.

RoaringMad Mac
03-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I had thought about that too,but seeing as I already have a stationary bike that would be kinda redundant. Although training on a spinner would be great for getting you used to your saddle.

RoaringMad Mac
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Okay guys thanks for the opinions.

We are going to go to the Bike shop tommorow since we don't have to work and even look at getting my wife a bike as well.

Here are my fingers crossed.

I think I will get a lot more out of riding a real bike than anything else.

kickboy
03-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Mac if you are going to get a bike think you should look at the 29"ers.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=34097

This is a little bit more than the bike you posted but I really like it I think it will offer a smoother ride.

Let us know what you do I'm looking real strong at the one posted, also Fisher and Giant make some great rides, oh yes and Cannondale too.

RoaringMad Mac
03-22-2008, 09:54 AM
OMG, LOL that is funny Kickboy because that is exactly what I got the Rockhopper 29 with Disc breaks. LOL, Cool.

It is a smooth ride. But like most Mountain bikes and I have not Got on a bike (real one that is) in a year it is going to take a little getting used to again. After I post this I am going out to ride a couple of miles and then get to mowing my yard.

I'll tell ya what we bought two of them yesterday. That specialized Rockhopper for me and the "Giant" Sedona for my wife. She had to get a Men's bike because she is so damn tall. She is 6'1 as well.

We went riding a little yesterday and after we rode she wanted me to try her's out.

:eek: Holy crap That was one of the most comfortable rides I have ridden on. Her saddle was extremely comfortable. I have the slim saddle her's is that comfort saddle. Her handle bars are up more so you sit upright more. She thought I should have gotten one like hers but I still feel mine in the long run will do me better.

I have a couple of things now I have to purchase Like:

Helment
Ligts for at least the rear and possible the front
pump
extra tubing
Gloves
Bar Ends. I have always used these on long rides and for climbing
More padded underwear. (ones that fit)
speedometer for tracking distance too.

I am sure there are other things I am going to want but My birthday is coming up in May and no one ever knows what to get me LOL well the site has a spot where you can purchase Gift certificates now. LOL.http://bobs-bikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=15819

So they should not have any excuses.

I must say guys I can see the light at the end of the tunnel in this goal of mine since I got this bike.

I might still have a chance to get a treadmill at the end of April or sometime therein. It might me a used one. My therapist is going out of business because she is about to have another baby and she wants to quite her business to raise her children. Her Husband is a golf pro and I guess makes some good money. She stated that some of the equipment in her office she was going to sell. We will see how much she wants for one of the treadmills.

kickboy
03-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Dude I am so jealous, I have a hard week ahead two classes to teach, two to take and practice, my regular workouts (the regular job) and then there is food and sleeping BUT I’m off work Friday and Jr is out of school that day so we are going to look at bikes. We both need to go to the archery shop too.
I think it would be cool if we ended up on the same type of bike. Did you get the orange one?

Oh yeah as for the padded shorts I still have my singlet from my collage days when I raced and I will post a picture of myself in it (if I can get all the way in) I weighed 143 when I raced. I’m sure the quads will fit but the chest will be tough.

RoaringMad Mac
03-24-2008, 07:06 AM
I actually got the green and yellow one. Kinda goes with my truck. LOL.

There is now way I will ever fit into a singlet. LOL. I hope you guys get one.

It would be cool to one day go on one of those vacations where you ride your bike and look at the scenic routes.

kickboy
03-25-2008, 05:45 AM
North Carolina is a good place. The outer banks are flat but the wind is killer and your training partner, then the mountains. Here is a link to a ride I did back in the late 80ís I did the 13th one they now have a mountain bike ride too. It was KILLER, but fun too.
http://www.freewheelers.info/assault.html
http://www.mtngoatepics.com/offroadassaultmt_mitchell.htm

I will need some training but this looks like fun/torture for the avid cyclist. LOL
Seriously it would be fun and memorable.

rent a car antalya rent a car antalya